When you spend a lot of time standing or walking at work you need a reliable pair of shoes to help lessen the load. Good shoes can be the difference between a little strain or real pain. Work shoes need to be able to support your feet, keep you comfortable and withstand plenty of use. Whether you’re on your feet in the classroom or on a long weekend walk, you need to find a suitable pair of kicks to keep your feet safe, comfortable and supported – no matter what the day has in store.
To help you find the right pair of shoes, we’ve put together a list of the best shoes for standing all day to help keep you on your feet and feeling good.
In this guide:
• Best shoes for bar work
• Best shoes for waiting staff
• Best shoes for nurses
• Best shoes for construction work
• Best shoes for retail workers
• Best shoes for office workers
• Best shoes for teachers
• Best shoes for recreational walking
Best shoes for bar work
Key Benefits: good grip and sturdy supports
Bar floors can get slippy with spilled drinks and dropped ice. So, when you’re on your feet all evening working in a bar, you’ll need a pair of shoes with great grip and support. Stay on your feet and stay comfortable with a pair of well-structured shoes with grippy soles.
- Hobos Men’s Black Slip-On Formal Shoe – The easy slip-on design and high-grip soles on these shoes makes them a great option for wearing on a long bar shift. The simple style will work with any bar uniform too.
- Women’s Black Slip-On Wedge Shoe – With stylish stitching, a thick wedge heel and grip sole, these simple slip-ons offer great style and support. The wedge runs along the arch of your foot offering complete support to reduce aching in the soles of your feet.
Best shoes for waiting staff
Key Benefits: easy cleaning and cushioning
From dropped food, spilled drinks and sticky sauces, waiting staff have more to compete with than just being on your feet all day. The best footwear for waiting staff will combine comfort and support with easy cleaning, making them a great shoe for standing all day.
- Softlites Women’s Black Slip-On Wedge Comfort Shoe – These simple patent shoes are easy to clean with a wipe down, while the cushioned insoles make them some of the most comfortable shoes for walking all day.
- Beckett Men’s Black Slip-On Smart Shoes – These all leather shoes are ideal for busy waiting staff. Easy to wipe down and with a cushioned collar and insoles they’re ideal for wearing everyday around the restaurant floor.
Best shoes for nurses
Key Benefits: plenty of support and cushioning
As nurses, you’re on your feet for long periods of time. To help keep your feet comfortable during those long shifts, you need to look out for a pair with plenty of support, grip and cushioning. Look for an easy to wear design and maybe a strap to help keep your shoes in place as your move around the ward.
- Crocs Coast Men’s Black Croslite Foam Clog – Foam clogs from brands like Crocs have been a popular choice among nursing staff for years. Their holed design helps keep feet ventilated and helps them to breathe during long shifts, while the foam soles are super comfortable under your feet.
- Softlites Women’s Black Casual Tough Fasten Shoe – The strap on these simple black shoes help to keep your heels from rubbing and offer plenty of support during long days on your feet. They also have a highly durable sole and cushioned collar making them ideal for everyday wear.
Best shoes for construction work
Key Benefits: protective, water and oil proof
If you spend your days traipsing around construction sites, the most important thing is that you protect your feet. This means picking a pair of sturdy and protective shoes that also keep your feet supported and comfortable. Keep an eye out for features like steel toe caps, oil resistance and good grip cushioned collars to keep your feet safe and comfy.
- Sketchers Workshire Men’s Black Lace-Up Safety Boot – A safety boot will help protect your feet, ankles and lower shins from the potential hazards of a construction site. The lace-up design offers an adjustable, secure fit, while the memory foam insole and cushioned collar offers top levels of comfort.
- Earth Works Safety Unisex Black Leather Safety Shoe – This great set of safety shoes has a host of extra features including steel toe caps, shock absorption and a grippy sole. Thanks to their sturdy design and high comfort levels, they’re a great option for being on your feet all day in the construction site and for leisure activities too.
Best shoes for retail workers
Key Benefits: cushioning soles and comfortable fit
If you’re on the shop floor all day, it’s important to have plenty of cushioning in your shoes to keep your feet comfortable. You’ll also need something sturdy for when you’re shifting stock onto the floor. If you’re in fashion retail, something with a touch of style might be important too.
- Lilley Women’s Slip-On Loafer in Black – These stylish loafers are a great option for ladies’ work shoes for standing all day. Their simple, slip-on design makes them quick and easy to get on, making them perfect for everyday wear. While the fashionable buckle design adds a hint of style that’s perfect for fashion retail.
- Beckett Men’s Black Lace-Up Formal Shoe – The lace-up design of these stylish leather shoes offer a secure fit that prevents your shoes slipping off or rubbing. The almond shape toe offers a comfortable fit and a smart look too.
Best shoes office workers
Key Benefits: smart look and easy fit
Working in an office is one of the more formal workplaces. But just because you might spend a lot of time at your desk, doesn’t mean you don’t need comfortable shoes. Whether it’s the walk into the office or standing up and presenting you need something with a smart design and plenty of comfort.
- Lunar Eleanor Women’s Black Wedge Shoe – The practical design of these slip-on wedges give a simple and elegant feel to your office wardrobe. The low wedge heel offers plenty of support to the arch of your foot too, making them a comfortable choice if you’re going to spend a lot of time on your feet.
- Beckett Men’s Lace-Up Brogue Shoe in Black – The brogue detailing on these smart shoes makes them the perfect option for a day in the office. The lace fastening mean you can adjust the fit to be the most comfortable for you to reduce slipping or rubbing. The low heel and cushioning offer great comfort for everyday wear too.
Best shoes for teachers
Key Benefits: smart but supportive
As teachers, you spend a lot of time on your feet, presenting or walking around the classroom. That means having something smart but with plenty of cushioning and support is essential for keeping your feet comfortable. Look for something with sturdy sides, a cushioned collar, insoles and plenty of arch support.
- Softlites Women’s Black Casual Comfort Loafer Shoe – The simple, stylish and comfortable loafer is perfect for moving around the classroom and makes a great ladies’ work shoe for standing all day. The low wedge and chunky sole offer great arch support which will prevent aching feet at the end of a long day.
- Beckett Men’s Lace-Up Formal Shoe in Tan – A tan shoe can be a modern alternative to the traditional black work shoe. This Beckett pair offers a thicker sole that provides great support for your entire foot and cushions your step perfectly for moving about the classroom all day.
Best shoes for recreational walking
Key Benefits: aerated with lots of cushioning
Of course, being on your feet all day doesn’t just happen at work. If you’re a bit of an adventurer, you’ll also need a good pair of shoes for walking all day. Look for shoes that will help your feet breathe on challenging walks and offer plenty of cushioning to protect the soles of your feet. If you can find a pair with waterproof materials too, you’ll be able to head outside in any weather.
- Cotswold Men’s Abbeydale Low Hiker in Blue – With a waterproof membrane and breathable materials, these eye-catching pair of hiking shoes are great for walking all day in any weather. The memory foam insoles will keep your tootsies comfortable at every stage of your adventure.
- Cotswolds Women’s Oxerton Low Hiker in Grey – The removable memory foam insole and a lace-up fastening create an adjustable shoe for a more comfortable experience. The gripped sole and waterproofing mean they’re great for wet weather and rocky terrain too.
Whatever keeps you on your feet all day, you can find the perfect pair of shoes to suit your needs with Shoe Zone.