Last updated on October 27th, 2022 at 11:59 am
Once divisive, low heels are back in our wardrobes again after seeing a resurgence both on the runway and in street fashion.
The beauty of the cheeky low heel is their ability to fit in among casual and formal vibes. Elevate an outfit for brunch with the girls, a date night in town – even graduation and work events. These versatile shoes give you extra height, while the shorter heel means you don’t sacrifice on comfort.
After making an editorial comeback, the low heel is here to stay. Find out how to wear low heels for all occasions with our style guide.
What’s on this page
- What is a low heel?
- How to style low heels for a party
- Our low heel picks for parties
- How to wear low heels at work
- Our low heel picks for work
- How to style low heels for a day out
- Our everyday low heel picks
What is a low heel?
A low heel is pretty much what it says on the tin – a shorter heel than that of its traditional high-heeled sister. Their height usually sits at around one or two inches, making them perfect for the working day, as they don’t put too much pressure on the balls of your feet.
They were all the rage in the 1930’s, when women began to prioritise both comfort and style. Because of this association with an older generation, they began to slip out of fashion over the following century. However, today they’re making a revival for their timeless look, but with a modern twist.
For example, you can find low heels in various styles, including:
- Strappy heels
- Closed toe
- Wedge heel
They’re also super easy to throw on to dress up almost any outfit. From leggings and a baggy blouse, to tapered trousers or a mini skirt, the low heel is often more versatile and comfortable than its taller siblings.
How to style low heels for a party
If you’re looking for an easy way to style an outfit for a party, you can’t go wrong with low heels. They’re sophisticated enough to embellish any outfit, all while looking totally effortless. As a throwback item, they look great with ‘90s-style dresses, smart trousers, or jeans.
Try pairing your low heels with:
- A midi skirt and oversized top – A classic pairing, midi skirts and low heels are endlessly elegant. Update a ‘50s-inspired midi skirt look as a great way to dress up your low heels.
- Jeans and a blouse – Try a pair of open toe or low heel boots to put a casual spin on your outfit. You can even swap jeans for tapered trousers, leggings, or biker shorts to look effortlessly put together.
- Cocktail dress – A winning combo for parties, low heels and cocktail dresses were made to be friends. Throw on a pair of strappy slingback or sparkly low heels to make a statement.
Style tip: What style of dress goes with low heels?
Low heels are great for uplifting your favourite dresses. Midi dresses and low heels can make your outfit look more mature and intentional with this classic silhouette. You can also modernise traditional low heels with a flowy, patterned maxi dress for a contrasting look.
Our low heel picks for parties:
Truffle Unseen6 Women’s Nude Heel
These chunky nude low heels from Truffle feature an open toe and adjustable transparent straps for a retro feel. The plastic block heel offers extra support at just over two inches.
Style tip: Pair these see-through outfit saviours with a cute party dress and get ready to dance.
Sprox Women’s Black Heeled Sandal
A classic pair of versatile black low heel sandals are great for all occasions – but they’re especially handy for parties. The knotted strap and buckle really help to make a statement, while the padded insole means you’re ready to tackle any party.
Style tip: Style these with a patterned dress or skinny jeans to uplift your outfit with ease.
Truffle Salado Women’s Black Sling Back Shoe
These sling back low heels are the ultimate party shoes. This comfortable pair by Truffle offers an elasticated slingback strap to hold your feet firmly, with a padded insole to cushion the soles.
Style tip: Go bold and choose this shoe in red or green too. Show them off with a little cocktail dress, or style a monochrome outfit where these shoes can be the highlight.
How to wear low heels at work
Low heels are a great addition to your work wardrobe, whether you fancy dressing up your more casual items for an informal dress code, or for standard business attire. The perfect balance between formal and laid-back, low heels are a fun and classy way to add variety to your regular work rotation. Plus, they’re often much easier to walk in than ordinary heels!
Try wearing low heels with:
- Wide leg trousers – The contrast between slim low heels and wide-leg trousers makes them a stylish option for work. Go for closed toe or slingback heels to really show them off.
- Pencil skirt and a blouse – Harking back to the revamped ‘50s look we mentioned earlier, this midi skirt combo is perfect for work attire too. Pair with a neutral blouse, or an oversized white tee for more casual vibes.
- Jeans and a blazer – The jeans and blazer combo is a foolproof way to look totally put together with little effort whatsoever. Adding low heels or boots instantly gives business casual, with a hint of “I woke up like this”.
Our low heel picks for work:
Lotus Ramona Women’s Black Heeled Boots
These black heeled boots from Lotus are perfect for work. The padded insole supports your feet, with a zip fastening for easy wearing. The sleek black finish also creates an air of effortless professional glam.
Style tip: Dress up a business casual outfit with a pair of jeans and a blazer, or pair with smart trousers or a dress for a more formal look.
Comfort Plus Karla Women’s Black Leather Shoe
If your work dress code is more formal, these black leather low heels are an excellent option for everyday wear. Offering a wide fit slip-on style, you will be comfortable all day.
Style tip: Match these with a pair of patterned or neutral tapered trousers for added height – or wear them with a classic pencil skirt.
Caprice Nappa Women’s Black Leather Loafer
Low heel pumps are great for when you don’t want too much height but also don’t want to wear totally flat shoes at work. These black leather loafers from Caprice are sumptuously comfortable and lightweight.
Style tip: For a casual work vibe, wear these with skinny or cropped ankle jeans, a nice blouse or a cute graphic tee.
How to style low heels for a day out
Going for brunch or enjoying a cheeky shopping day out in the city? A pair of low heels has your back. Not only do they make fantastic summer staples, but they’re also great for transitional weather once we step into autumn.
Available in a range of colours and styles, low heels are ideal for creating a capsule wardrobe. Their small heel makes it easy on the feet if you’re walking for longer periods of time, which is always a bonus on day trips.
You can wear them with:
- Patterned trousers and a crop top – For a seamless silhouette, pair high-waisted patterned trousers, low heels, and your favourite crop top. Or why not swap for a graphic tee?
- Cigarette trousers and an oversized blazer – Whether you’re going for a co-ord look or mixing it up with neutrals, a pair of cigarette trousers and an oversized blazer are the perfect marriage with some low heels. You can also rock this look with cropped jeans.
- Maxi skirt and a jumper – When cosy weather beckons, low heels can elevate an elegant maxi skirt and jumper outfit. Ideal for evening meals and visits to your favourite coffee shop.
Our everyday low heel picks
Truffle Giovana Women’s Black & Green Mule Shoe
A modern interpretation of the low heel, these bold green mules from Truffle have a small platform that offers extra height without the extra fuss. If green isn’t your style, they’re also available in black.
Style tip: Wear your favourite patterned trousers, flares, or wide leg jeans to highlight these striking mules.
Truffle Cpra Women’s Nude Heeled Mule
A throwback to the ‘90s, these open toe nude heeled mules are the perfect low shoe for going out in. Easy to slide on and go, they have a chunky neutral heel and translucent upper, making them the ultimate wardrobe staple.
Style tip: Level up your outfit and pop out to lunch in a floral dress, mini skirt, or cuffed jeans with these trendy mules.
Sedai Women’s Chunky Black Buckled Heeled Shoe
A cross between chunky low heels and boots, these black buckled heels from Sedai are super cute for everyday wear. Adjustable buckles give you a custom fit while the thick heel and outsole is sturdy and comfortable.
Style tip: Match these with tapered trousers and a crop top, emphasising these bottom-heavy shoes.
Can you wear low heels with jeans?
Throwing on a pair of low heels with your faithful jeans is an easy way to dress them up when you’re running low on time to style an outfit. Style your low heels with ripped, boyfriend, or wide leg jeans for a casual look, or opt for cropped straight leg or skinny jeans for a seamless shape. Pair with a patterned blouse, blazer, or boxy tee to complete the outfit.
Low heels have click-clacked their way back into our hearts, and for good reason. Easy to walk in and style, these low-key staples are very much in vogue again – and we’re glad to see it.