In this guide:
- Are knee high boots in style?
- What types of over the knee boots can I wear?
- How should knee high boots fit?
- What should I wear with knee high boots?
Knee high boots are a timeless fashion choice. Not only do they make a bold fashion statement, they’re also super comfortable and extremely flattering, with the ability to make legs appear slimmer and longer. With so many different styles on the high street at fantastic low prices, it has never been easier to get a high fashion look for a low price tag.
However knee high boots can prove a challenge to wear, with us all being different shapes and heights. But don’t worry- we’re here to help. In this guide we answer some common questions about wearing over the knee boots.
Are over the knee boots in style?
Over the knee boots have been a popular style throughout the decades, from the swinging sixties and hippy seventies to the grungy nineties. Now they’re back with a bang and it looks like they are here to stay. Over the knee boots have a fantastic retro feel to them. If you’re looking for a boot to keep you warm and cosy throughout the cold winter months, this is it. Not only do they keep your feet toasty but due to their length they are also perfect for keeping your legs warm too.
What types of over the knee boots can I wear?
There are many different styles of over the knee boots and tons of different ways of wearing them, it’s all about playing with different looks and seeing what works best with your own personal style and shape. Here are the main options:
- Over the Knee Wedge Boots. This style is perfect for creating a cool, retro seventies outfit that’s still on trend. Choose a pair in black or brown and pair with a tan suede skirt and polo neck for a smart look that’ll take you from work to evening drinks.
- Over the Knee Fringe Boots. Again another seventies inspired outfit, you’ll look like you’re with the band if you team these with a fringe dress or velvet shorts. Make sure your bag matches your boots by picking out a style with more fringe detailing.
Over the Knee Boots with a Kitten Heel.These add a small height boost that will alter the appearance of the knee high boots so they don’t look too long on shorter legs. They also add a glam touch that is perfect for a night on the town.
- Over the Knee Boots with Fur. Wearing over the knee boots is the perfect way to keep your legs warm. A pair with faux fur detailing will do so even more, it gives them a luxurious feel that is perfect for those dreary January days.
- Over the Knee Boots with a Block Heel. These are the ultimate in vintage chic. Favoured by the glamorous women of the sixties and then again in the nineties, they are the signature over the knee boots style.
How should knee high boots fit?
With this style you want it to fit as tightly but as comfortably to your leg as possible. This ensures that they don’t slip down when you are walking or dancing the night away. Over the knee boots should sit snugly to your legs, so do remember that when you’re choosing a pair. Some tips to remember when checking for a good fit include:
- Look out for lace up and zip styles as these will help you find a good fit.
- If they still feel a little loose, consider what you are wearing them with. A pair of leggings or tights can be the grip the boots need to stay tight to your leg.
- They shouldn’t be baggy. You want to create a clean modern silhouette so shop around to fit a style that suits your shape.
- Wear them in your home to check they fit correctly before heading out in your new boots.
What clothes should I wear with knee high boots?
Knee high boots are a versatile and classic style which are so easy to wear with a number of different outfits. Before choosing which outfit to go with your over the knee boots, decide which look you’re going for.
For a rock star look… style your over the knee boots for a night out, by pairing them with a simple skater skirt and soft fine knit jumper and a leather jacket.
For a casual look…pair your knee high boots with skinny jeans, an over-sized slouchy jumper and cosy bobble hat. It’s perfect for winter.
For the office…put a small small heel with a knee length wrap dress or a pencil skirt. If you’d rather wear trousers, you could pair your knee high boots with a pussy bow blouse for a cool, slick way of wearing over the knee boots to work.
For a glamorous retro look…wear a chunky heeled suede effect pair with an over-sized dress, statement jewellery and fedora hat.
For a dramatic look…add some Victoriana pieces with your thigh high boots, a pair of rich, velvet shorts and black lacy top along with sparkly tights.
Once you’ve found the pair of knee high boots you love, help them stand the test of time by maintaining them over the long term.