Last updated on January 23rd, 2024 at 02:49 pm
What you’ll learn:
- What does leopard print go with?
- Matching leopard print shoes with solid colours
- How to wear leopard print with jeans
- Wearing darker shades with leopard print shoes
- Matching different tones with leopard print shoes
- Pairing with neutral shades
- Considering the shoe style
- How to wear leopard print flat shoes
- How to wear leopard print shoes to work
Leopard print shoes are a great way to bring a pop of colour and pattern to your outfit. Believe it or not, this bold design traces right back to Ancient Egypt, when women would stencil leopard print patterns onto linen sheets in place of real fur pelts.
Since then, leopard print has been a firm favourite among style superstars and fabulous fashionistas. These days, leopard print isn’t limited to the red carpet or catwalk – it’s suitable in many everyday settings.
Whether you’re looking for a casual shopping outfit, a classy office look or something eye-catching for a night out, a pair of leopard print shoes can add the perfect finishing touch. Here are some of our top tips on how to wear leopard print shoes.
What does leopard print go with?
Leopard print, being a versatile and bold pattern, can be paired with various colours and styles. Here are some popular combinations:
- Leopard print pairs exceptionally well with neutral tones such as black, white, beige and grey. These combinations create a classic and sophisticated look.
- Leopard print adds a touch of edginess to denim. In fact, pairing leopards with jeans, denim skirts, or jackets creates a stylish and casual outfit.
- Red and leopard print makes a bold and striking combination. A red blouse, skirt, or accessories paired with leopard print can create a vibrant and eye-catching look.
Camel or tan:
- Combining leopard print with camel or tan colours enhances the warm and natural tones, creating a chic and earthy appearance.
- Rich, deep colours like burgundy or wine complement the warmth of leopard print, adding sophistication to your outfit.
- For a softer look, pastel colours like blush pink, baby blue, or mint can be paired with leopard print to balance the boldness.
- Adding leather pieces, such as a jacket or skirt, to leopard print can create an edgy and stylish ensemble.
Stripes or polka dots:
- Mixing leopard print with other patterns, such as stripes or polka dots, can create a playful and eclectic look, provided the patterns are in a similar colour scheme.
Remember, the key to successfully styling leopard print is to treat it as neutral and balance it with other elements in your outfit. Start with smaller leopard print accessories like scarves or shoes if you’re new to incorporating this bold pattern into your wardrobe.
Matching leopard print shoes with solid colours
When you’re planning what to wear with leopard print shoes, stick with solid blocks of colour and try to avoid clashing patterns and doubling up on animal prints. This keeps the focus very much on your statement shoes.
Strong colours like red, chartreuse or orange will really pop against the natural colours of the leopard print.
How to wear leopard print shoes with jeans
When it comes to wearing leopard prints shoes as part of a casual, everyday look, you can’t go wrong with a classic pair of denim jeans.
Stick to classic colours like blue or black – so your shoes continue to do all the talking. Boyfriend and bootcut jeans are great choices, with Ballerinas creating a laidback look. For something a little edgier you could go for skinny jeans with a rolled up hem and a pair of ankle boots.
Wearing darker shades with leopard print shoes
As natural coloured leopard prints have black in them, it’s the perfect pattern to pair with outfits made up of darker shades. Dark hues like burgundy and navy will perfectly complement your outfit and add another dimension to your look that you just wouldn’t get with plain black shoes.
Matching different tones with leopard print shoes
Leopard print shoes come in various colours, from natural tones to black and white patterns, and even prints with bold colours like pink, blue and yellow. The key to creating a cohesive outfit is to match the tone of your outfit to the tones in your leopard print shoes. If you have a natural print, warm colours will work best. In contrast, black and white prints will pair nicely with cooler tones.
Pairing with neutral shades
Earth tones also look good with natural leopard print. Khaki, olive green, brown and rust shades will calm the bold pattern of your leopard print shoes and complement the natural browns, blacks and beiges.
Rich, earthy and autumnal colours like brown, burgundy, gold, navy and plum will also work well with a pair of leopard lace-up boots.
Consider the shoe style
Understanding how the different tones and colours of this popular print work with other items in your wardrobe is key to understanding how to wear leopard print shoes. Considering the style of the shoes you choose is also important. For example:
- Trainers. Trainers will create an uber-casual look that’s perfect for running errands and will pair well with your gym kit for your workout session. Simply, throw on some gym or yoga leggings, a flattering vest top, and a 3/4 zip gym jumper or oversized hoodie for a stylish but sporty aesthetic. You can even swap out the leggings for some cycling or running shorts, sports socks and a baggy t-shirt on those hot summer days.
- Sandals. Sandals will pair well with a summer dress or shorts for a warm-weather look. For a more elevated look, opt for your favourite floaty midi dress or skirt, large-brimmed hat and oversized sunglasses. Or, dress them down with shorts and a sleeveless shirt tucked in. A pair of wide-leg trousers will also work excellently with these strappy sandals, perfect for those cooler summer nights.
- Heeled court shoes. Leopard print court shoes will look great with a pair of black skinny jeans, a leather jacket and a white T-shirt for a rock-chick look – or an elegant black cocktail dress and gold jewellery for date night. If dresses aren’t your style, opt for some tailored trousers, a fitted top and an oversized matching blazer. It’s important to choose colours that work well with leopard print, such as neutrals and reds, to tie the whole outfit together.
- Boots. A pair of military style ankle boots are perfect for cooler weather and will look fantastic with an autumnal green wool coat and jeans. Boots also look great in summer and add a stylish contrast to lighter fabrics and pastel colours. Whether it’s a tea dress, midi skirt or denim shorts, military-style ankle boots are a fantastic way to add an edgy touch.
How to wear leopard flat shoes
Leopard print flat shoes are a great versatile accessory. Use them to create a casual look for roaming the high-street or a high-end outfit for a night out.
Pair loafers with your favourite jeans for a day look and dress your look up with a black tailored blazer and gold jewellery for when the sun sets and the nightlife opens up.
How to wear leopard print shoes for work
You might think that leopard print shoes don’t belong in an office, but that isn’t the case. When it comes to wearing leopard print shoes for work, there are several trendy ways you can style your look.
Try a black tailored suit or knee-length dress in a rich earthy colour paired with classic ballet pumps or court shoes. This will combine the professional look of your work wardrobe with the high-fashion element of your funky shoes.
Sticking to simple, tailored lines and dark, earthy hues will help keep your look classy and professional, while adding a small burst of personal style to your outfit. For the best effect, pick leopard print shoes that use a natural print rather than a bold colour or black and white pattern.
Now you know how to style leopard print shoes, browse our full range to find the perfect pair for you.