Last updated on December 8th, 2023 at 02:11 pm
With the kids heading back to school for a new year of learning, it’s time to renew their classroom wardrobes. From the best school shoes to the most stylish bookbags and uniforms, you’ll want to get them everything they’ll need to make a strong start to the new term. And as they keep growing, you might have to kit them out numerous times over the course of the year before school’s out for summer again.
Whether they need just one pair of smart shoes, or a separate pair for inside the classroom as well as trainers for P.E. lessons, we’ve got you covered with our comprehensive guide.
Best outdoor school shoes for boys and girls
When it comes to walking to school or tearing around the playground, your kids need a sturdy shoe that’s going to offer them the right support, fit securely and resist a few scuffs.
Best boys’ school shoes
- Trux Easy Fasten Shoes are perfect for kids who aren’t quite ready for laces but want a secure fastening. Plus, the flat-gripped sole offers extra stability for those wet wintery days.
- Lace-Up Beckett Boys’ Shoes are suitable for kids who take ages to get out of the house and need a quick hassle-free shoe. With plenty of cushioning for support and a grip sole, they’re ideal for little boys who love to race around.
- Trux Boys’ Black Shoes are better for older boys who are comfortable tying their own shoelaces. The fine stitching adds a smart finishing touch and ensures he has all the security he needs.
Trying to find the right shoe fastening? Check out our guide to the best fastenings for children’s shoes.
Best girls’ school shoes
- Buckle-up Lilley Patent Brogues will provide a smart school look while providing all the stability your little ones’ feet need. The fine stitching adds a feminine touch and the buckle detailing ensures a comfy fit.
- Lilley Patent Loafers are a timeless shoe style for school. The bow detail on this pair adds an extra-special touch your little one’s first steps into the new term.
- Lilley Lace Up Brogues are a wardrobe staple, even for little wardrobes. Their padded collar means they’re a comfortable fit and the round toe leaves plenty of room to grow.
Best indoor school shoes for boys and girls
Some schools have different requirements for shoes inside and outside, so knowing where to buy indoor school shoes is important. A comfortable plimsoll is often the way to go when it comes to shoes for inside.
These plain black Walkright plimsolls are the perfect indoor school shoes for both boys and girls. The rubber sole offers strong grip, so your kids won’t slide around the school hall or classroom (no matter how hard they try).
The tried-and-tested plain plimsoll can work wonders for most kids, but little girls will love the heart embellishment on this Walkright pair. The stacked flat heel and rubber sole offer all the grip and stability they need, while the round toe means there’s plenty of room for their growing feet.
Have more questions about what other school shoes you might need? Learn more by reading our answers to some common questions.
Best P.E. shoes for boys and girls
While plimsolls can make a great option for P.E. lessons in the school hall, trainers may be more suitable for outdoor sports. You’ll want something comfortable and sturdy which won’t cost the earth and give their little feet some space to grow into.
These Black Speed Lace Trainers are great for both boys and girls. The simple black design is perfect for school, while the sturdy design means they’re ideal for racing around the school field.
Best P.E. shoes for boys
Something a little more unique, which should still meet school guidelines, are these Ascot Kids’ Trainers. The black, navy and white colour scheme is safe enough that it won’t break school rules, but still cool enough for your kids to love. Plus, the mesh panels help your kids’ feet breathe, and keep their feet smelling fresh for the rest of the school day.
Best P.E. shoes for girls
A dash of pink is sure to please your little girl and have her looking forward to P.E. lessons. These Mercury Girls’ Black and Pink Easy Fasten Trainers are a perfect balance of school sensibility and feminine styling. Plus, the easy fasten set up means they’ll be able to get them on and off quickly and easily – ideal for changing between lessons.
Get your kids all the footwear they need for back to school with the range of school shoes from shoezone.