In this guide
- How should mules fit?
- How to wear flat mules
- How to wear heeled mules
- How to wear mules with dresses
- How to wear tights with mules
- How to wear mules with skinny jeans
- How to wear mules for work
Mules have seen a resurgence in popularity over the last few years, becoming a staple of most women’s summer wardrobes.
Wearing mules with shorts, floaty dresses, skirts and wide-legged trousers brings a cool, stylish look to any summer outfit. Find out more about how to wear mules in our comprehensive guide below.
How should mules fit?
Your mules should fit snugly, so they don’t slip or fall off. Equally, you don’t want them too tight, as this could cause rubbing and blisters. Mules should be comfortable, and you should have no difficulty walking in them, whether they’re heeled or flat. If you have slim feet, look for narrow-fitting mules – these will provide more support to your toes and prevent the shoes from slipping off. If your feet are wide, try regular or wide-fit options.
How to wear flat mules
Flat mules are probably one of the most comfortable styles of sandal to wear.
They easily slip on and off, making them the ideal footwear choice for lazy summer days in the garden or by the pool.
Great ways to style flat mules include:
- Pairing them with high-waisted trousers and a loose-fitting jacket for a retro 90s vibe.
- Adding them to fitted or tailored trousers to bring a classic touch to a formal outfit.
- Wearing shorts or floaty skirts and dresses with more dainty mules.
- Styling with skinny jeans and an oversized T-shirt for an edgy, relaxed look.
How to wear heeled mules
Heeled mules are also a comfortable choice. They support the insole and offer quite a lot of coverage to the top of the foot, too. One particularly favoured style is the block-heel mule, with its simple, clean look and ease of wear. What’s more, a wedge mule with a platform sole is a great way to elongate the appearance of your legs.
The best ways to style your heeled mules include:
- Wearing heeled mules with skinny jeans and a favourite top as a day-to-night outfit.
- Pairing them with wide-leg palazzo pants or linen trousers for a classic spring-summer look.
- Creating a feminine look with midi-skirts or knee-length dresses.
How to wear mules with dresses
Wearing mules with dresses can help you retain a youthful look with an urban edge. For the best results:
- Pair them with a relaxed jersey maxi dress and cropped denim jacket for a super-comfy look.
- High-heeled mules can look great when getting dressed up for a night out. Team them with a shirt-dress for an informal summer look.
- Create a relaxed, summer holiday look by pairing your flat mules with a floaty tea dress or sundress.
Can you wear tights with mules?
When wearing your mules with dresses or skirts, adding a pair of tights can work really well, providing you:
- Stick to completely opaque tights – sheer tights are often a little thin and don’t mix well with mules.
- Choose plain, non-patterned tights that don’t distract from your shoes.
- Make sure your mules don’t have an open toe that shows the seam of your tights.
How to wear mules with skinny jeans
Pairing mules with skinny jeans is a good idea, regardless of the style of mule you go for. Skinny jeans work well with flat mules, sliders and wedge mules. If you want a more dressed-up look, wear heeled mules with skinny jeans.
Skinny jeans cut off at the ankle are perfect for keeping things fuss-free and letting some warm sunlight onto your feet.
Mules are so casual they make any outfit choice look more relaxed. If wearing skinny jeans, go for baggy, oversized t-shirts and thin jumpers for a stylish yet effortless look that’s bang on trend.
Can you wear mules for work?
Mules can make a nice alternative to your usual work footwear when styled correctly. Block-heeled mules with a sling-back can work well with trousers and dresses – but check with your workplace first.
Top tips for wearing mules for work
- Stick with neutral colours such as black, navy or tan.
- Stay away from heavily embellished styles – so no furry mules or those with pom-poms, which will look less professional.
Mules are a popular choice, and we can see why: not only are they bang on trend and easy to style, they’re comfortable and effortlessly trendy. Whether you’re wearing mules with skinny jeans, dresses or shorts, you’ll find that they’re one of the most versatile types of footwear out there.
If you need more help and advice on choosing the right shoes for your feet, follow our guide to shoe widths.