Last updated on November 29th, 2023 at 10:06 am
In this guide
- What’s the ideal fit for mules?
- How to style flat mules
- How to style heeled mules
- How to style dresses with mules
- How to style mules with skinny jeans
- Is it acceptable to wear tights with mules?
- Should you wear socks with mules?
- Is is appropriate to wear mules to work?
Ladies mules have experienced a notable comeback in recent years, becoming a go-to shoe in many women’s summer clothing collections. In fact, pairing mules with shorts, flowing dresses, skirts, or wide-legged trousers can effortlessly infuse a chic and fashionable vibe into your summer styles.
Recently purchased a pair? Take a look at our detailed guide below to elevate your summer wardrobe with these versatile footwear options.
What’s the ideal fit for mules?
Your mules should offer a snug fit, ensuring they stay secure without slipping or falling off. However, it’s essential to strike a balance, avoiding excessive tightness to prevent rubbing and blisters. Whether heeled or flat, mules should provide comfort, allowing easy and pain-free walking.
For those with slim feet, opt for narrow-fitting mules for added toe support and to prevent slipping. If your feet are wider, consider regular or wide-fit options to accommodate your foot shape comfortably.
How to style flat mules:
Flat mules stand out as one of the most comfortable sandal styles. Their effortless slip-on design makes them an excellent choice for laid-back summer days in the garden or by the pool. Here are some great ways to incorporate flat mules into your wardrobe:
- Achieve a retro 90s vibe by pairing them with high-waisted trousers and a loose-fitting jacket.
- Add a classic touch to formal wear by combining them with fitted or tailored trousers.
- Embrace a more delicate look by wearing flat mules with shorts or flowy skirts and dresses.
- Create an edgy and relaxed style by styling them with skinny jeans and an oversized T-shirt.
How to style heeled mules:
Heeled mules not only provide comfort but also offer ample support to the insole while covering the top of the foot. A favoured style is the block-heel mule, known for its clean aesthetic and easy wear. Additionally, a wedge mule with a platform sole can effectively elongate the appearance of your legs.
Here are some chic ways to incorporate heeled mules into your wardrobe:
- Transition seamlessly from day to night by pairing heeled mules with skinny jeans and a favourite top.
- Opt for a classic spring-summer look by combining heeled mules with wide-leg palazzo pants or linen trousers.
- Embrace a feminine aesthetic by styling heeled mules with midi-skirts or knee-length dresses.
How to style dresses with mules:
Embrace a youthful, contemporary flare by pairing dresses with mules. Here are some tips for the best results:
- Opt for a super-comfy look by pairing mules with a relaxed jersey maxi dress and a cropped denim jacket.
- Elevate your evening attire with high-heeled mules, especially when paired with a shirt-dress for a laid-back summer look.
- Achieve a relaxed summer holiday vibe by combining flat mules with a floaty tea dress or sundress.
How to style mules with skinny jeans:
Choosing to pair mules with skinny jeans is a versatile and stylish option, irrespective of the mule style you choose. Whether flat mules, sliders or wedge mules, they all complement skinny jeans well.
That said, opt for heeled mules with skinny jeans for a more elevated appearance. Ankle-cut skinny jeans are also ideal, maintaining a fuss-free look and allowing a touch of warmth from sunlight to reach your feet.
Mules inherently add a casual flair, effortlessly enhancing the relaxed vibe of any outfit. So, when wearing skinny jeans, consider combining them with loose, oversized t-shirts and lightweight jumpers for a trendy and effortlessly chic look.
Is it acceptable to wear tights with mules?
Certainly. However, pairing your mules with dresses or skirts, incorporating tights can be a stylish choice, ensuring you:
- Opt for entirely opaque tights, as sheer tights may appear too thin and may not complement mules effectively.
- Select plain, non-patterned tights to avoid distracting from the focal point of your shoes.
- Ensure your mules do not have an open toe that would reveal the seam of your tights.
Should you wear socks with mules?
Whether or not to wear socks with mules is a matter of personal preference and style. However, mules are often chosen for their sleek and stylish appearance, and going sockless can accentuate this look, especially with open-toe or peep-toe mules.
That said, socks can provide additional comfort by preventing friction and absorbing moisture. So, opt for no-show or low-cut socks for a discreet option. During colder seasons, or to add a fashion statement, you might also choose to wear socks with your mules.
Is it appropriate to wear mules to work?
When styled appropriately, mules can serve as a stylish alternative to your regular work footwear. Consider block-heeled mules with a sling-back, which can pair effectively with both trousers and dresses. However, we recommend checking with your workplace dress code to make sure that mules align with their rules.
Top tips for wearing mules at work:
- Opt for neutral colours like black, navy, or tan to maintain a professional look.
- Avoid heavily embellished styles, steering clear of furry mules or those adorned with pom-poms, as they may appear less polished in a workplace setting.
Mules are a trendy choice for good reason: they are both fashionable and easy to style, providing comfort with an effortlessly chic appeal. Whether paired with skinny jeans, dresses, or shorts, mules prove to be among the most handy footwear options available.
For additional assistance in selecting the right shoes for your feet, refer to our guide on shoe widths.