Last updated on January 22nd, 2024 at 12:51 pm
- Which colours go with brown boots?
- Can I wear brown boots with black?
- How to style brown boots
- How to wear brown boots for every occasion
- Which male outfits do brown boots go with?
- Which female outfits do brown boots go with?
Brown boots are a versatile style you can wear all-year-round. They’re a wardrobe essential, adding a rich seasonal touch to your overall outfit.
It’s an elegant colour, which has several different shades, like tan, hazelnut, burgundy and dark brown. With so many tones to choose from, you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to matching your outfit with brown boots.
Our guide will give you the fashion essentials you need to know to coordinate your look.
Which colours go with brown boots?
- Tan boots go with rich, autumnal colours such as burgundy, plum and mustard. They also work well with bold patterns and brighter tones.
- Hazelnut boots pair well with dark blue, but a brighter shaded coat will also go together nicely for an eye-catching look. Alternatively, hazelnut boots can hold their own in a classic all-black outfit.
- Burgundy boots match perfectly with dark velvety dresses, as the colours complement each other for a coordinated look. For men, wearing a suit of the same shade replicates this formal effect.
- Dark brown boots work with bright colours and red dresses are their best friends. Dark brown boots pair well with blue jeans and shirts too, a great outfit for women and men. Different shades of green can also complement the overall look too.
Can I wear brown boots with black?
The old myth that brown and black tones don’t mix when creating an outfit has been disproven time and time again. As with most fashion situations, rules are made to be broken. This is especially the case with brown shoes and black trousers.
These pair together well, across all shades of brown. Lighter brown shoes use a tone that is the polar opposite of black, which can create a unique look when matched with a pair of sleek black jeans or trousers. Darker browns work even better too, ideal when going for a formal style.
How to style brown boots
Styling brown boots offers a huge range of possibilities and for all kinds of occasions. Whether you’re aiming for a casual, smart casual or even a formal outfit, brown boots will soon become your go-to shoe. Take a look at our top tips on how to style both long and ankle boots.
Brown high-knee boots
Brown knee-high boots are the perfect addition to any outfit, offering versatility and sophistication. For a casual winter look, throw on a pair of brown knee-high boots with some skinny jeans and an oversized knit jumper. Or, for a summery boho touch, combine with a flowy maxi skirt and a denim jacket.
To transition to a smarter look, match them with tailored trousers and a flowy shirt. A knee-length dress can also create a sophisticated look.
Make sure the colours coordinate well, and don’t be afraid to experiment with accessories for a touch of individuality.
Brown ankle boots
If knee-high boots aren’t for you, ankle boots might just be. In fact, brown ankle boots are another wardrobe staple, offering endless outfit possibilities.
For a casual look, pair classic brown ankle boots with cuffed skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and a denim jacket. You may want to dress your boots up. In this case, style your boots with slim black trousers, a tailored blazer and a silk blouse. Or, go with suede fringe brown ankle boots matched with a flowy maxi skirt, a loose blouse and some accessories.
Stay cosy during cold weather with black leggings, an oversized knit jumper and a puffer jacket.
For evening outings, opt for brown ankle boots with embellishments, elevating a little black dress and accessorising with statement jewellery.
How to wear brown boots for every occasion
Brown boots are a versatile and timeless addition to any wardrobe. Whether you’re dressing up for a formal event, heading to the office, or enjoying a casual outing, brown boots can be the perfect footwear choice. Take a look below at how we would style this type of footwear.
Styling brown boots for formal occasions requires a lot of attention to detail. For men, choose well-polished, dark brown dress boots in leather, pairing them with a tailored suit in dark colours like charcoal or navy. A crisp white dress shirt and a coordinating tie will pull together all the pieces nicely.
On the other hand, women can opt for elegant knee-high brown leather boots with a slim-fit pencil skirt and a sophisticated blouse.
Don’t forget accessories, and always make sure that your boots are impeccably maintained.
Brown boots are even the perfect addition to a casual outfit and are a nice change from your trainers. Men can pair well-worn, brown leather ankle boots with faded jeans and a casual button-down shirt for a relaxed, everyday look.
For women, brown ankle boots can go perfectly with skinny jeans, a cosy jumper and a scarf. They’d also look great with a skirt or dress paired with some black tights. You could also accessorise with a crossbody bag or a statement necklace.
Adding brown boots to your workwear wardrobe can strike a perfect balance between professionalism and style. Men can pair dark brown leather dress boots with tailored trousers, a button-down shirt and a blazer for a formal office look.
For women, opt for brown ankle boots, ideally in a matte finish and wear them with pencil skirts or tailored trousers, along with a blouse or a fine knit jumper or cardigan.
Make sure the colours harmonise and add subtle accessories for a complete, work-appropriate look.
Which male outfits do brown boots go with?
Men’s brown boots match with all sorts of outfits, whatever the season. Here are some of the outfits that work best when paired with them:
- Skinny jeans and a leather jacket. It’s a good look that rock stars have been nailing since the 1960’s, and there’s a good reason for it. Pairing the darker clothing tones creates a sharp look and it’s rounded off perfectly with a pair of brown Chelsea boots.
- Fitted black or grey suit. This modern office look coordinates well with tan or brown brogues, adding an interesting quirk to an otherwise plain black outfit. Spice it up a little by going for grey, instead of black.
- Dark denim jeans and jacket. Brown boots contrast well with dark denim. Slouched jeans work particularly well together, throw on a parka to stay warm and stylish in the winter months. Just make sure you’re waterproofing your boots for when the rain sets in.
Which female outfits do brown boots go with?
Women’s brown boots add class and style to an overall look. They make a timeless fashion statement when paired with these outfits:
- Knitted top and black leggings. Pair this outfit with Chelsea boots for a look that’s made for work and play. Throw on a pair of frilly ankle socks for a cute girly touch.
- Skinny jeans and fur-collared leather jacket. Wedge ankle boots go best with this. If you’re going for full on rock chick, plum lippy with add some drama and characters.
- Black skater dress. Styled with a pair of classic riding boots or knee length boots, simplicity is the key to this timeless look that can be worn again and again.
- Cream lace dress. One for festival season, this screams high fashion and works well during the transition from winter to spring.
- Ribbed tights, paisley print dress and fedora hat. The ultimate hippy look, harking back to the 1960s and 70s fashion heyday, while still being bang on trend today.
Tan boots offer a perfect complement to the rich, earthy hues of autumn. They blend seamlessly with colours like burgundy, plum and mustard. Additionally, tan boots make a striking statement alongside bold patterns and brighter shades, infusing a touch of vibrancy into your ensemble.
Hazelnut boots, on the other hand, create an appealing contrast when paired with dark blue clothing. But they also harmonise beautifully with a brighter coat, creating an eye-catching look. If you prefer a classic all-black outfit, hazelnut boots can add a touch of elegance to your overall style.
Burgundy boots effortlessly match dark, velvety dresses, creating a harmonious and coordinated appearance. For men, sporting a suit in the same hue replicates this formal effect, providing a timeless and sophisticated ensemble.
Dark brown boots are versatile, complementing a wide range of colours. They work particularly well with bright shades, making red dresses their ideal companions. These shoes also pair seamlessly with blue jeans and shirts, creating a classic and stylish outfit suitable for both women and men. Various shades of green can also harmonise with the overall look, offering flexibility and flair to your look.