Last updated on December 1st, 2023 at 08:48 am
It might seem like the kids have only just finished school for the summer, but it’s surprising how fast September comes around! Being an organised parent or student, you’re probably already thinking about what you need to get sorted before returning to the classroom for another school year. However, we understand that preparing for back to school 2018 can be a little overwhelming. That’s why we’ve prepared this back to school 2018 checklist to help you out.
Back to School Checklist for Parents
Parents tend to have a busy time preparing for back to school. If you have one or more young children heading back to the classroom, you’ll need to be organised. Our back to school checklist for parents will help you to get prepared for back to school 2018. Tick off each item as you go to make sure you don’t miss any essentials!
Stationery & Supplies For 2018
School Uniform For 2018
- Blouses or polo shirts (3-4)
- Jumpers or cardigans (2)
- Trousers, skirts or pinafores (2)
- School Shoes
- PE kit
- Swimming kit
- Name labels
- Hair bands
Back to School 2018 Shoes
Of course, school shoes are a key part of school uniform and in some schools, one of the only aspects of the uniform that allow parents to exercise some choice. Little feet need school shoes that offer comfort and support all day long, so this should be your primary concern when choosing school shoes. However, in 2018 embellishments are still popular so girl’s school shoes with bows, flowers hearts or other details will nail school shoes trends.
Browse our School Shoes range, and find helpful tips on choosing the right school shoes on our Back to School page!
Back to School 2018 – Bags & Backpacks
School bags and backpacks also give an option for individuality within the school rules. Letting younger children choose the design of their bag can help them feel a little more in control of what’s going on and will give them something they can clearly identify as their own. As a parent, you’ll want to make sure their bag is also comfortable and supportive for little ones to carry.
Things to Do
On top of gathering all your back to school supplies, you’ll want to be as organised as possible for the start of the new term. Here’s a back to school checklist for mums to make sure you’ve covered everything in advance.
- Create a lunch plan – plan out the lunches you’re going to send on a day by day basis, so you can make sure you shop accordingly. If you have new meal ideas, then why not try these out over the summer? That way you’ll be able to eliminate anything the kids don’t like to make sure they always have a healthy packed lunch they will eat. In 2018, packed lunches have had an overhaul and it’s not just about a cheese sandwich and a bag of crisps. Get ideas for healthy pack-ups from pasta to pancakes and sushi from experts like Bon Appetit and plan weeks of appetising and healthy lunches for little ones.
- Plan drop-off and pick-ups – think through your routine for dropping off and picking up the kids. Make sure everyone knows who is doing what and when. It might even help to try it out, so you can identify any issues that might hold you up on a busy school morning.
- Sleep schedules – holidays sometimes mean late nights and throwing caution to the wind. But if smaller people are overtired they may struggle with a long school day. Think about readjusting their sleep schedule gradually over the last week or so of the summer holidays until they’re all set for early school day mornings.
- Important dates – update your calendar with important school dates, holidays and trips. Once the whirlwind of school sets in you’ll be glad you did this task in advance. It also helps you to think about any periods where you might need to arrange childcare or book time off work.
Kid’s Back to School 2018 Must Haves
Your back to school checklist may be the same every year, but kids’ trends can change faster than you can keep up with them! The usual items on your checklist still apply, but what’s on trend for 2018?
Magic is still in the air, with unicorns and mermaids a popular choice for little ones. Having their favourite characters with them during the school day can also help school starters feel more comfortable. Disney Princess, Frozen, Paw Patrol, Peppa Pig and Sonic The Hedgehog are still as popular as ever. Choose colourful and exciting stationery for younger children, it will encourage them to use it.
Back to School Checklist for Students
If you’re shopping for your own back to school supplies this year, you’ll want to make sure you don’t miss anything out. Taking responsibility for your own school supplies can be a big step but it’s also a fantastic way to show how grown up and responsible you are. Give it a go, you’ll ace it!
Back to School Supplies for High School, Secondary School & College
Once you start high school, secondary school or college there tends to be a more specific list of items you need depending on the subjects you’re taking. Here’s our checklist to cover the general supplies you will need, in addition to the basics provided in our parent’s checklist:
- Correction fluid
- Lever arch file or ringbinder in A4 size
- File dividers
- Plastic wallets
- Hole punch
- Jotter pads
- Post it notes
- Revision cards
You May Also Need…
- Art supplies: drawing pencils, colouring pencils, scissors, glue
- Language supplies: dictionaries, thesaurus
- Maths supplies: scientific calculator, compass, protractor, set square
- Computing: laptop, headphones, memory stick
Back to School 2018 Essential Trends
OK, we’ve covered the true essentials. But what’s are the essential trends this year? Magical unicorns and mermaids are as popular for teens as they are for younger kids, so don’t forget to add some to your stationery set to add a sprinkle of something special to your school day. Continuing with the magical theme, Harry Potter is also big this year. Stock up on stationery, backpacks and more so you can imagine you’re on your way to Hogwarts for the new term.
We’re not completely sure why, but there’s a lot of love for llamas when it comes to 2018 stationery. Pick a fun llama design for your notebook to brighten up your day. Slogans are also popular, so choose something inspiring to make sure you’re the best you can be during your school day and beyond.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our back to school 2018 guide. Make sure you have a great start to the new school year by getting prepared. Start gradually so you can still enjoy the holidays, and you’ll be ready before you know it.